Welcome to the Buckeye Local School District!
The Buckeye Local School District unifies individuals, communities and resources to create a WORLD CLASS LEARNING COMMUNITY that gives ALL students the opportunity to be successful in THEIR future.
Who can register for School?
Children planning to attend kindergarten in the Fall must be 5 years old on or before August 1 of the year they plan to attend.
Registration for grades K-12 is available anytime throughout the school year. A registration packet may be picked up in the Board Office Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or forms can be downloaded from this website. Any student who lives within the Buckeye Local School District can register.
Where can I register my child?
Buckeye Board Office
3436 Edgewood Drive, Ashtabula, OH 44004-5993
Phone: (440) 998-4411
Fax: (440) 992-8369
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
What to bring when you register:
1. Original Birth Certificate (acceptable: hospital certificate or baptismal certificate)
2. Social Security card or number (optional)
3. Immunization Record (Baby Shots)
4. Prior School Information (School Name, Address, Phone & Fax Number)
5. If applicable: Your child’s current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and ETR information (special education).
Custodial Parent/Legal Guardian:
1. Photo ID of Custodial Parent/Legal Guardian
2. Proof of residency (One Required): Mortgage statement, current lease/rental agreement or utility bill (within the past 30 days) in your name OR if you are living with relatives/friends/others, then the Proof of Residency & Notarized Statement must be completed. In addition, a mortgage statement, lease/rental agreement or current utility bill (within the past 30 days) in the name of the relative/friend/other that you are residing with must be presented.
3. If applicable, divorce/dissolution documents (Ohio law requires a copy of the entire document) filed with the court designating who is the residential parent/legal custodian for schools purposes. Documents must be date/time stamped and signed by the judge/magistrate.
4. Custody or guardianship documents filed with the Juvenile Court.
Can I download and fill out the registration documents prior to my appointment?
Yes. To help speed up the registration process, you may download the following PDF file and complete the forms. Bring completed forms to the registration site along with all the required documents.
Do you need help locating documents?
Birth Certificates for children born in Ohio may be purchased at the Ashtabula City Health Department, 4717 Main Avenue, Ashtabula, OH 44004, (440) 992-7123.
Immunization Records - Your child's doctor, clinic or previous school may have copies of Immunization Records. Students may need to retake shots if immunization records cannot by located.
Court Documents - All finalized documents must be presented at the time of registration. These papers can be obtained from the court in which they were filed.
I’m not the legal guardian. How can I enroll a child?
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances where a child is living with someone who is not the legal guardian. Here are some examples:
- If the Department of Children and Family Services has custody, the social worker or foster parent should have journal entries or emergency custody papers that verify the custody arrangements.
- If children are living with grandparents, the grandparents can show proof of guardianship with a Grandparent Power of Attorney or Grandparent Affidavit. When properly completed, notarized and filed with the juvenile court within 5 days of signing, these documents are acceptable forms of custody and allow the child to be enrolled by the grandparent. For more information on Kinship Support and to download forms, visit the Public Children Services Association of Ohio’s Kinship Support (www.kinshipohio.org).
- If a parent/legal guardian is hospitalized, incarcerated, or in rehabilitation, the Department of Children and Family Services may be able to help (440-998-1811).
We look forward to serving you and your children for many years to come in the Buckeye Local School District!